Worried about an adult?

If you suspect someone is being abused or neglected, or if you need help yourself, please contact the Adult Protection Team on 01724 297000.

Professionals can also use our Safeguarding Concern form [Word, 62Kb].

You can also contact the Police:

  • 101 – Police non emergency
  • 999 – Police emergency

Reporting your concerns

If you don’t want to contact us yourself, you can also report your concerns to a social worker, nurse, your GP or any other professional and ask them to make a referral for you. They will listen to you and act swiftly to make sure your enquiry is dealt with in the correct way.

Some people aren’t able to take care of themselves, and they may not be good at telling others that something is wrong.  This can leave them open to abuse.

Abuse can happen anywhere and can be carried out by anyone. This could be family, friends, neighbours, paid staff, carers or volunteers. It could also be other service users, tenants or strangers.

What is Abuse?

Abuse is anything that harms another person and might include:

  • physical abuse – such as hitting, pushing or slapping
  • domestic abuse – such as psychological, sexual or physical
  • psychological abuse – such as bullying, taunting or humiliating someone
  • sexual abuse – such as inappropriate touching, forcing someone to take part in any sexual act against their will
  • financial abuse – such as misusing, withholding or taking someone’s money
  • neglect – such as not providing necessary food, care or medicine

People who require care and support must be able to trust and depend on the people they rely on for help. No abuse is acceptable. Some abuse is a criminal offence and should be reported to the police as soon as possible.

What does Safeguarding mean?

Safeguarding means protecting an adult’s right to live in safety, free from abuse or neglect. It is about people and organisations working together to prevent and stop both the risks and experience of abuse and neglect.

Safeguarding duties

The safeguarding duties apply to an adult who:

  • has needs for care and support (whether or not the council is meeting any of those needs)
  • is experiencing or is at risk of abuse or neglect
  • is unable to protect themselves from, or is at risk of abuse or neglect as a result of their care and support needs.
Young man with beard looking worried


Adult Protection Team

  • 01724 297000 (9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4.30pm Friday)

Safeguarding Adults Board

Last modified: March 22, 2022