Resolving disagreements, mediation and complaints

Talk to us

If you disagree with the decisions or provisions made by the school or the council regarding your child’s special educational needs, the Special Educational Needs Section welcomes the opportunity to discuss your concerns.

Contact details:

Special Educational Needs Team
Church Square House
30-40 High Street
North Lincolnshire
DN15 6NL

Tel: 01724 297148


Information, Advice and Support Service

If you need support or advice during these discussions, the local North Lincolnshire Special Educational Needs and Disability SENDIASS will be happy to help you.


Tel: 01724 277665

North Lincolnshire Council is committed to delivering excellent customer service. Listening to our customers and learning from customer feedback enables the council to improve its services and meet the needs of customers more effectively.

We want to make it as easy as possible for customers to let us know their views, including how to make a complaint. Have a look at the document Your Right to Complain

North Lincolnshire’s complaints policy sets out how customers can make a complaint about council services, and how we will respond to and learn from complaints received. You can read the Policy here.

Service specific complaints should be made to the Customer Contact and Relationship Manager.

Tel: 01724 296426

Customer Contact and Relationship Manager, North Lincolnshire Council, Church Square House, 30-40 High Street, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, DN15 6NL

Further details on ‘How to make a complaint’ as well as the facility to make an on-line complaint about council services are available here

Independent Service in Yorkshire and Humber

Community Accord for Mediation

If you feel that discussions have not addressed your concerns you can contact Community Accord for mediation. This is an independent service available to help sort out SEN disagreements in Yorkshire and Humberside. The people involved in the dispute work together to reach an acceptable solution with the help of a mediator. Using the mediation service does not affect your right of appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability). You can use mediation at any time during a disagreement.

Contact details:
Tel: 01274 431190
Website: Community Accord – SEN Mediation

Parents and young people can appeal to The First Tier Tribunal (SEN and Disability) about EHC needs assessments and EHC plans, following contact with a mediation adviser in most cases.

Contact details:

HMCTS – Special Educational Needs & Disability Tribunal
1st Floor Darlington Magistrates Court
Telephone: 01325 289350

Advice on making SEND appeals to the Tribunal is available from Gov.UK

Additional information

Contact Us

Special Educational Needs Team

Tel: 01724 297148




Tel: 01724 277665 (direct line/24 hour answer phone)

Last modified: March 11, 2024