Getting Information, Advice and Support

Wellbeing support for parents and carers

If you would like NHS advice about healthy living, including eating a balanced diet, healthy weight, exercise, quitting smoking and drinking less alcohol; visit the NHS Live Well website.

When you’re living with a mental health problem, or supporting someone who is, having access to the right information is vital. Visit the MIND website for help and advice.

Help for your child if you have concerns

If you have any concerns about your child’s development or health, whatever their age, you should talk to a professional.

There are many different professionals you can talk to about your child e.g. a nursery worker, teacher or social worker, a paediatrician or therapist, the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator at your child’s education setting, the Mental Health Champion or the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

Quite often, who you choose to talk to will depend on the age of your child.

If your child is very young you may want to discuss your concerns with your health visitor or GP. You can also go to your local Family Hub where staff will be available to give you support and guidance.

Help from Early Years

If your child is pre-school, and it is felt that your child may have additional needs then your health visitor, nursery or paediatrician may refer you to the Early Years Triage. The Early Years Triage is made up of representatives from:

  • Health visitors
  • Speech and language therapy services
  • Educational Psychology
  • Portage
  • Autistic Spectrum Education Team
  • Behaviour Support 2-12
  • Other specialist teachers
  • and the Early Years Team

A member of staff from Triage will follow up each referral and involve other members of the group when needed.

Help if your child is of school age

If your child is school age and you have concerns about their development and progress at home and at school, including having an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD)or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), please talk to your Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo)/Mental Health Champion in school.

They will be able to use assessment toolkits and put some supportive strategies in place straight away. These toolkits have been designed by our specialist services. They include one for autism, one for behaviour and one for sensory differences. You can use the strategies suggested at home too.

Through the Graduated Approach they will gather information together and they will be able to refer your child to Specialist Teaching Services, Educational Psychology and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) if appropriate.

The Family Hubs can also give you advice and support or give you information about a useful course or activities for your child to join in with. The Family Hubs have a close link with Health Visitors and nursing services. They offer guidance on sleep, positive behaviour strategies and living with teenagers.

Help from SENDIASS

The staff in the Special Educational Needs and Disability, Information and Advice Service (SENDIASS) are available to give you independent advice and support on a range of topics including:

  • special educational needs and disabilities
  • disability discrimination
  • medical needs
  • school admissions, transitions and exclusions
  • other issues such as bullying and transport

Help from the North Lincolnshire Parent Forum

The North Lincolnshire Parent Forum is a forum/group to express the views of parents and carers of disabled children and those with special needs. They are made up of parents and carers who know on a practical daily basis just how challenging caring for a child with special educational needs and disability is.

The Parent Forum can give independent advice and guidance to parents and carers on a range of subjects, many of which they have experienced themselves.

Family Hubs

Our Family Hubs are here for everyone to enjoy. Offering advice, help and sessions to support families within North Lincolnshire. Our services are free of charge and activities are inclusive to all children, young people and parents/ guardians.

We provide a range of family support and activities from early years activities, family health, parenting, money matters, training, craft activities, messy play, baby yoga and baby massage, sensory play and story times.

Pop in to any of the Family Hubs to find out more.

Further Information


Special Educational Needs Team


Tel: 01724 297148

Health and Wellbeing Service


Tel: 0800 0199951




Tel: 01724 277665



Carers Support


Tel: 01652 650585

Children’s Advocacy

Tel:  01724 296639


Parent Forum

Tel: 08453 889984

Website: North Lincolnshire Parent Forum

Facebook: com/pipforum

Twitter: @pipforum

Last modified: March 12, 2024