Disability Living Allowance /Personal Independent Payment

What is the difference between DLA and PIP?

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for Adults are being replaced by Personal Independent Payments (PIP) for anyone over 16. It is a tax-free benefit for disabled people who need help with mobility or care costs.

DLA is ending for people who were born after 8 April 1948 and are 16 or over. You can only make a new DLA claim if you’re under 16.

You’ll continue to get DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to tell you about when it will end. The letter will invite you to apply for a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and tell you what to do next.

Your DLA will continue if you were born on or before 8 April 1948. You’re not then entitled to claim PIP.

Details on the Personal Independent Payment (PIP) are available on the GOV.UK website.

If you need help to complete a DLA form for a child, contact Citizens Advice.

Indian man studying

Further Information


GOV.UK website

Tel: 0345 712 3456

Last modified: July 24, 2019